Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Winter!

Well winter has come to the rest of Japan it seems.  Yesterday Jenny and I slipped off early to see Fushimi-Inari just near Kyoto with its thousands of vermillion tori leading all over the hillside (Bev stayed and nursed here tiring feet).  It was brisk.

Then we caught up with Bev and took a bus to the golden pavilion which never ceases to blow one away.  On to Ryoangi which must have something, but what is it?  Very Zen.

We caught the end of the Kimono parade at Nishijin Textiles and lunched at the oldest soba restaurant in Japan established in 1452 - that's before any of us were born! It is said to be the Emperor's favourite and he goes there when in Kyoto.  I guess we are in good company.

Then a tour of Nijo the shogun's palace built much later in the 1620s.  It is impressive.

When Jenny and I finally got back to Kyoto station it was snowing. And this morning when we left it was snowing - and between Kyoto and Nagoya it was blanketed in white.  We saw Fuji-san well because by the time we approached Tokyo the sky was blue - and so were we when we got out of the cosy train.  Brr.

A pretty quite time in Tokyo this afternoon, but we did manage to show Bev the lights at Wako Corner Ginza - iconic.

Tomorrow a tour around Fuji-san and more chills I expect. 

No comments:

Post a Comment